Today our blog returns! We’re very excited about the plans we have to be an active member of the blogosphere this year. We hope you enjoy it.

To kick things off, the team have nominated me to do the first post so I am honoured to kick off this momentous occasion. Here goes! 🙂

My specific thought around Playmob’s first blog is to talk about the ‘why’. Why we are doing what we do at Playmob, why we work with certain companies and charities and why this all really matters in the grand scheme of the world.

It’s no revelation to hear that the poor are getting poorer and the rich are getting richer, but the scale of this may shock you. Oxfam published stats recently showing that by 2016, 1% of the world’s population will own as much wealth as the other 99%. Shocked? I was.

Now, this is not to say that the wealth creators do not deserve to be rich, they very much do. We all strive to be financially independent, comfortable and happy but this gap tells us that the majority of humans on this planet are not experiencing this type of life at all. In fact, these figures show quite the opposite.

I am all for creating wealth and I would not have set up Playmob as a ‘for profit’ business if I didn’t want to make the business, our team and investors a return financially. It was also hugely important to have a positive impact on all of our partners and the great work they do, as a business or as a charity.

Businesses are in the best position to give back and it is not just about giving wads of cash to charity, it is about ‘smart giving’. If a business or wealthy individual has made their fortune by looking at the ROI on everything they do, why not apply this thinking to how they give back? For example, what projects can we invest in which will make the biggest difference in the quickest time? Where is the biggest ‘bang for our buck’ on charitable projects to support? Collectively we can make a bigger difference than ever before.  I am not an expert in this area, however my good friend Michael Green has a brilliant TED talk which touches on the social progress index. The index is becoming increasingly important and the ending will give you goose bumps.

As businesses, making a difference and including our employees and customers is not just a good thing to do. It can impact the bottom line too. However, it has to be genuine and executed like you truly mean it. Havas Media have created a Meaningful Brands index, even showing that a Meaningful Brand can outperform the stock market by 120%. More businesses must strive to be part of this category by being ‘meaningful’ and undertaking it smartly.

As a business we have a very important mission which is wrapped into everything we do. We believe in ‘profit with purpose’. Every company we work with, we want to make them more ‘loved’, every charity project we want to help them meet their goals and every person who contributes to giving via us, we want to feel amazing and special and to always see exactly what it is they have contributed to.

So why did we start with games? Games have the power to tell a story and put things into context, helping situations to make sense. Games also have mass audience and using micropayments players who make a small purchase in a game can have a big impact on the world around them. Games are also about community and coming together to make a difference. What better reason to team up to eliminate poverty and climate change?

If we can help to bring more people above the poverty line, to bring them more wealth where they need it most, can we increase our circle of potential customers at the same time? This is not just a question, it is a statement, which was perfectly summed up by Bill Clinton in 2012 when he stated

“The most effective global citizens will be those who succeed in merging their business and philanthropic missions to build a future of shared prosperity and shared responsibility”

We are looking forward to seeing what 2015 has in store for us. We are excited to see which companies join us in the strive to be more meaningful and to see which charity projects we can support further. Here’s to a great 2015!

By Jude Ower